Help With Rent

If you are experiencing difficulties paying your rent, we are here to help.

Alternative Payment Arrangement (APA)

Managed Payment to Landlord (MPTL)

If you have struggled with receiving monthly payments of Universal Credit or have had trouble budgeting you may be able to have an Alternative Payment Arrangement. As your landlord we can apply for an APA on your behalf. This way the Housing Element of your benefit can be paid to us direct, taking the hassle out of managing this yourself. For more information on this please contact us. APA’s are reviewed after six months.

Fortnightly Payment

You can request through your work coach to be paid fortnightly instead of monthly if this helps you to budget.

Ways we can help with rent

Discretionary housing payment (DHP)

A DHP is a means tested fund that could help if your UC or housing benefit doesn’t cover the rent.  To make a claim for this go direct to your own Local Authority. Local details here:

If you need help applying, or if you have questions about Discretionary Housing Payments, contact your Welfare Reform Officer who will be happy to help you through the process.

Please get in touch with us if you would like help to complete the forms.

Universal Credit Budgeting Advice

You can get a loan from £100 to help pay for emergency household costs (for example buying a new cooker) or for help getting a job or staying in work. This is called a Budgeting Advance. You’ll repay it through your regular Universal Credit payments. To get a Budgeting Advance, you must have:

  • Been getting Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance or State Pension Credit for 6 months or more, unless you need the money to help you start a new job or keep an existing job
  • Earned less than £2,600 (£3,600 together for couples) in the past 6 months
  • Paid off any previous Budgeting Advances

Council Tax Support

UC is replacing 6 benefits but this does not include council tax support. You must apply separately for any support. You can get in touch with us if your require assistance, or you can apply directly online by following this link.

It can be very difficult to have a council tax support entitlement backdated, so when you migrate over to UC remember to apply for council tax support.

Here to Help

If you need support applying for Universal Credit or on any of the points covered here, please get in touch.

Speak to one of our friendly advisors today

Live Chat

arrow_downarrow_leftarrow_rightavatar_triocardchild_tax_creditAsset 1Asset 1Asset 8closecomputercrossemploymentAsset 10Asset 9Asset 14Asset 13housing_benefitAsset 11job_seekersmailmarkermoneyphoneplayquoteAsset 1Asset 1search_locationsearchsocial_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubeticktoggleAsset 12working_tax_credit