Don’t get caught out

When you’re awarded Universal Credit, you must sign a claimant commitment to say that you agree to find work or find better-paid work. If you do not keep to the terms of the claimant commitment, your benefit may be sanctioned. This means it can be reduced or stopped.

How to challenge a sanction

If you’re sanctioned and believe that you had a good reason for not being able to meet the work-related requirements, you should ask for a mandatory reconsideration. A reconsideration means a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) decision maker will look at the decision again to see if it is correct.

If the outcome of the reconsideration is successful the decision maker can revise the decision and you’ll be paid any backdated money you’re owed.

This means you’ll be paid any benefit you’re owed from the date when it was stopped.

If you need help to challenge a sanction decision you can contact KHT and we can make an appointment for you to discuss the issue with a member of our Welfare Reform Team.

More Help

Sanction information:

To make an appeal, or for general benefits advice, contact our Welfare Reform Team on 0151 290 7921 or for more information see here:

Here to Help

If you need support applying for Universal Credit or on any of the points covered here, please get in touch.

Speak to one of our friendly advisors today

Live Chat

arrow_downarrow_leftarrow_rightavatar_triocardchild_tax_creditAsset 1Asset 1Asset 8closecomputercrossemploymentAsset 10Asset 9Asset 14Asset 13housing_benefitAsset 11job_seekersmailmarkermoneyphoneplayquoteAsset 1Asset 1search_locationsearchsocial_facebooksocial_googleplussocial_instagramsocial_linkedin_altsocial_linkedinsocial_pinterestlogo-twitter-glyph-32social_youtubeticktoggleAsset 12working_tax_credit